MICHAEL LANE PRESCHOOL
At Michael Lane preschool we learn to play and play to learn!
Nestled in the beautiful hills of Lafayette, we provide an inviting, secure, and non-critical preschool environment for children to grow and develop through supervised play. Our child centered program is built on a solid base of trust between teachers, children, and families while providing a supportive and educational community for both children and parents.
Each child is accepted and valued as a unique individual that is allowed and encouraged to develop at his or her own pace. We promote each child’s social, physical and cognitive growth while sharing the wonder of learning through an emergent curriculum of play activities. We work to have each child, regardless of age, learn from other children, value their gifts, and develop a positive attitude toward school and learning. We believe when children share positive experiences with other children, they grow and develop both socially and academically.
We are proud to be accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). Please see NAEYC logo and link to its website at the bottom of this page.
Our preschool building contains three classrooms filled with books and toys aimed at developing the children’s interest in art, music, math, and science through imaginative play. They also enjoy an outdoor recreation area with a play structure, tricycles, and opportunities for sand and water play.
We are open Monday through Friday. Our hours are 9 a. m. to noon with a lunch option from noon to 1 pm. Parents have a choice of sending their children two, three, or five days per week.
For information about facilities, teacher credentials, preschool tours, directions to the preschool, and for printable applications, click here.
Hear what our parents say about…..
Our Play Based Curriculum:
- Never could I have imagined the exciting and ever changing activities that happen every day at Michael Lane Preschool! When searching for a preschool I was looking for a place that emphasized learning through play, but this school really does epitomize the meaning of play based curriculum. — Amy P., parent of a 3 year old child.
Our Mixed Age Program:
- The mixed age classroom provides many opportunities for children to learn from each other, and I’m especially happy to see how things have come full circle for my daughter. She started school just before she turned three, and was one of the youngest children in the class. On her first day of school, one of the older children came over and introduced herself, then led her to the other room to meet Fuzz, the guinea pig. Three years later my daughter is now the one who takes the young ones under her wing, helps them out, plays with them, and even lets them sit in her lap during circle time. I love that she has learned through experience, that kindness goes both ways, and I’m thankful she’s in an environment that provides these types of learning opportunities. — Selena L., parent of a 5 year old child.
Our Small Class Size:
- The class size is big enough for my daughter to interact and learn from different personalities and ages. But its small enough so its not at all overwhelming – a tight bond is formed between the kids and the kids and the teachers.— Rebecca M., parent of a 3 year old child.
- I’m also thankful that the class size is so small. It means children can be more purposeful in their social interactions and that teachers can give more attention to each child. It also means children are well-supervised, which is particularly important given the mixed age setting. The small class size is also wonderful in terms of allowing parents to get to know the teachers and other parents. It contributes to creating a community of families, rather than just being a school. — Selena L., parent of a 5 year old child.
- The fact that there is only one class really offers a feeling of community for all and a lot of security for the kids. Teachers really get to learn about each child individually, and the kids feel very much at home.— Amy P., parent of a 3 year old child.
General Comments on our Program:
- I am so delighted I decided to send my child to Michael Lane!All the teachers are unique, talented, and creative. It’s obvious that they genuinely care about each and every kid. They greet each child individually at the beginning of the day and say goodbye at the end. I always feel like the teachers are open to my comments and questions. And they will often share noteworthy information about my child’s day at school.
- They are very easy to talk to via e-mail or causally in person. I think Michael Lane’s program is a really nice mixture of creativity, spontaneity,
guidance, relationship-building, free-play and structure. The teachers are attuned to each child’s unique make-up. Most importantly, my daughter always looks forward to going to school, making friends, trying new things, practicing skills, exploring, and playing in Michael Lane’s loving environment makes her introduction to school extremely positive.— Rebecca M., parent of a 3 year old child.
- I love that my child is learning new concepts through play. She is free to choose between different centers or projects based on her current interests. She especially loves the cooking center then tasting at snack time. She is always excited to come to school. We love Michael Lane Preschool.
— Michelle. H., parent of a four year old child.
- My daughter is in her third and final year at Michael Lane, and she says she wants to stay there forever. In many ways, I wish she could.— Selena L., parent of a 5 year old child.
- If you’re wondering, like many parents are, what’s the best learning environment for my child, visit Michael Lane Preschool (MLP), a magical little school nestled in Lafayette’s Burton Valley. The MLP staff are committed to using the latest early childhood research theories and practice, set forth in an always-changing and developmentally appropriate learning environment. Seeing is believing though…come take a look at what a great
preschool looks like, happy children engaged in their own learning with highly skilled teachers guiding the way!— Betsy D., parent of a 3 year old child.
For more information and/or a tour of our facility, please call our Director Kim Olson at (925) 284-7244 or email us:
We are licensed by the California State Department of Social Services #073403896, and fully conform to all state laws regulating child care and school facilities. This school admits students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin.
Please click here for more information about the National Association for the Education of Young Children